Truck Driver – Job Description
Truck Drivers usually work for transportation companies specialized in carrying goods instead of people. They do as their title suggests, they operate heavy trucks in order to transport goods from one location to another. The type of goods transported can vary greatly from one customer to the other. Some of the most common goods they work with are food, materials (e.g. wood, coal, cement, or waste), and sometimes even livestock. There are two basic types of trucks, light and heavy load.
- Operating light or heavy load transport trucks.
- Inventorying and securing loaded cargo.
- Adhering to the applicable traffic laws for the type of vehicle they operate.
- Loading and unloading cargo using special equipment.
- Obtaining signed receipts after delivery of goods.
- Inspecting vehicles to check for malfunctions.
- Performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks to the vehicle.
- Keeping records of activities and transported goods.