Lab Technician – Job Description
One of the most important members of a research laboratory team are Laboratory Technicians. They are in charge of a variety of tasks and responsibilities such as the organization and maintenance of lab tools and equipment, data recording, as well as ensuring efficiency and accuracy when conducting scientific experiments and research.
Laboratory Technicians can take in a wide range of roles within the laboratory team depending on their area of expertise. They may work in several branches of scientific research and development, such as Chemistry, Physics, and Biology and may be employed by companies of various areas, including Forensics, Cosmetics, Manufacturing, and Pharmacology. Depending on the field, Technicians may work independently or under the direction of a professional.
- Studying and analyzing biological and chemical processes, among others.
- Adjusting, calibrating, and ensuring the effective functioning of laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Preparing samples and specimens for use in their work.
- Performing scientific experiments, running tests, and analyzing results.
- Recording, storing, and analyzing test and experiment results for later study.
- Writing and presenting tests and experiments results to employers and colleagues.